International Women's Day is a time to reflect on the remarkable courage and strength that women possess. From advocating for equal rights to breaking down societal barriers, women have continuously demonstrated unparalleled bravery in the face of adversity.
In honor of this celebration, we have compiled 15 inspiring bravery quotes that highlight the unwavering spirit of women who have fearlessly fought for their dreams and aspirations.
1. “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”― Winston S. Churchill.
One would have to say that these words are truly life giving! What makes this little quote stand out to us is indeed the truth of it. Continuing is what counts. We believe courage is demonstrated every time women show up again and again.
2. ‘You can't be brave if only wonderful things happen to you’. - Mary Tyler Moore.
Preach it Mary! Indeed bravery is needed to have a wonderful life and yet if life is a little ‘un-wonderful’ at the moment maybe your ticket out of that slightly jaded place is a little courage. We know women who have made remarkable things happen because they looked at the lack of wonderment in their lives, the familiar, the average occurrences of everydayness and transformed them through daring to be grateful and dream a little bigger.
3. “Bran thought about it. 'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?' 'That is the only time a man can be brave,' his father told him.” ― George R.R. Martin.
Game of Thrones fans might recognise this little beauty. We love it because it reminds us that our fears are simply a call to be brave, not evidence that we are not brave, as many might believe. When we feel our fears instead of hiding from them, we summon courage.
4. “Don't be afraid of your fears. They're not there to scare you. They're there to let you know that something is worth it.” ― C. JoyBell C.
Yes! Yes! Yes! Fears frame what we value. In fact, we don't have to dig very deep to see that the reason why we are afraid of certain things is because they are attached to something or someone that is important to us. Breath deep sister, your fears are only pointing to evidence of the love and potential that is in your life.
5. “Scared is what you're feeling. Brave is what you're doing.” ― Emma Donoghue.
We know you can relate. All of us feel scared of something and yet we continue to press on. WE love that there is a way to separate feeling from doing, emotion from action, desire from movement. Many brave women have a healthy balance, a rhythm if you will between feeling and doing, not being ruled by either.
6. “There are so many ways to be brave in this world. Sometimes bravery involves laying down your life for something bigger than yourself, or for someone else. Sometimes it involves giving up everything you have ever known, or everyone you have ever loved, for the sake of something greater. But sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it is nothing more than gritting your teeth through pain, and the work of every day, the slow walk toward a better life. That is the sort of bravery I must have now.” ― Veronica Roth.
A long one, but we couldn’t exclude this quote. We simply love it! Brave has many faces. Courage does not always roar. How many women do you know that have a soft kind of courage? You know the ones? They gently continue to give, not needing to advertise their strength, leaning towards a better day.
7. “Before I knew you, I thought being brave was not being afraid. You've taught me that bravery is being terrified and doing it anyway.” ― Laurell K. Hamilton.
Probably the most well known quote about being brave, we had to include it in our list. Hooray for all the hella good heroines who DO IT ANYWAY. If not the first time, then that's ok. They’ll step up eventually.
8. “It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else.” ― Erma Bombeck.
Shout out to all the sweethearts that are brave enough to wear their heart on their sleeve. We applaud you for believing in what could be. Sharing dreams, heart desires is not easy. We risk ridicule, judgement, being shamed and misunderstood when we let others see what we hope for ourselves and our world. It's important to remember that if someone does disrespect you, if you are criticised for having a big vision for your life, that you, with courage, press towards it anyway.
9. “To be brave is to love someone unconditionally, without expecting anything in return. To just give. That takes courage, because we don't want to fall on our faces or leave ourselves open to hurt.” ― Madonna.
Spot on Madonna! It is brave to love. It is brave to give. It is brave to forgive. It is brave to risk being hurt. When we say ‘Be brave baby’, we mean, love, give, forgive and dare to do it with all your heart.
10. “I believe that the most important single thing, beyond discipline and creativity, is daring to dare.” ― Maya Angelou.
Yep, we believe it too! For what is a life without venture, without taking chances, without trying new things? Not much of one, we think. Cheers to all the sisters that have stepped out, taken a leap of faith, made a shot in the dark - we think you’re brilliant!
11. “Don't be afraid of being scared. To be afraid is a sign of common sense. Only complete idiots are not afraid of anything.” ― Carlos Ruiz Zafón.
It sounds silly but it is true that some are fearful of fear itself. Brave women are more afraid of letting fear hold them back than anything else. They want to live a life of overcoming not shrinking to satisfy their fears. Here's to all the women who feel uncomfortable with letting fear make them small.
12. “A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.” ― Mahatma Gandhi.
Love is brave. Love allows us to let our guard down. Sometimes brave love looks like forgiveness. Sometimes it is holding your tongue when you could put someone in their place. Sometimes it is speaking up. However love is expressed, it has one key characteristic - courage.
13. “He who is brave is free” ― Seneca.
What more needs to be said? If ever there was a true statement this is it. Freedom is brave and those who cower do so in compromise of liberty.
14. "The coward dies a thousand deaths, the brave but one?" ― Ernest Hemingway.
We suffer thousands of small deaths when we shrink back but when we are brave we are reborn every time. It's not that brave women have never cowered, its that they recognise and learn from mistakes. Shout out to all the sisters who have learnt the hard way! Us too!
15. “Fear can’t hurt you,” she said. “When it washes over you, give it no power. It’s a snake with no venom. Remember that. That knowledge can save you.” ― Maureen Johnson.
Brave women know that when it comes to fear they always have the upper hand. They feel it and then feel their own power.
Keep spreading positivity and inspiration by sharing these 15 bravery quotes with every inspiring woman in your world, and don't forget to check out our popular blog post featuring more 20 empowering quotes in celebration of sisterhood.
And don't forget to put on your own bravery proudly, and show your support for the courageous women around you by wearing meaningful brave apparel & jewellery.